At a public meeting held at Kloofendal Nature Reserve on the 6th February 2020, to present the scope and details of the project.
Download the project presentation here!
Afterwards, FRoK proposed that the project be abandoned, and instead, the financial resources be used to maintain, repair and upgrade the following:
- Security – The boundary fence has been pushed over/ fallen down, allowing poachers, dogs and criminals access to the reserve. The boundary fence should be repaired or replaced to increase the security of the community. Security guards require an all weather shelter in the parking area.
- Parking – the parking area is is dire need of maintenance or replacing. This area is limited and insufficient for visitors over weekends.
- Sewerage – repeated sewerage leaks within the reserve pollute the dam and environment.
- Toilets – maintenance and upgrades are required.
- Paths – maintenance of paths is required to address erosion and unstable areas.
- Heritage assets – the stamp mill requires a roof to prevent damage.
- Lawns – maintenance is required.
- Dam repairs – the spillway below the dam is in need of repair.
- Alien vegetation control – alien vegetation is an ongoing challenge.
- Bush encroachment – bush encroachment is an ongoing challenge.
- Children’s playground – a children’s playground has been identified as required asset.
- Signage – permanent signage is required.
- Wheelchair access – none of the facilities are wheelchair friendly.
The project mentioned the construction of a ticket booth, which indicates visitors will have to pay to enter the reserve.
Download the FRoK presentation here!